Monday, March 2, 2009

The last junkie


I've been feeling like a junkie at work (a sugar junkie, let me be clear). I can't even see it without wanting it. I'm sure it didn't help that I had pancakes yesterday. It's kind of become a Sunday tradition.

Someone brought in a whole bag of fortune cookies today and I managed to open one for the fortune but not eat it. A great display of willpower. Perhaps helped by the delicious dinner we had last night. Rather than going out we made dinner. Brown rice, steamed veggies (bok choy, carrots, cauliflower), grilled seitan and onions, and a lovely miso tahini sauce (with toasted sunflower seeds!)

It's possible tonight will not be quite such a triumph since I will be home alone and would like to craft more than make food. (Always the dilemma!) I made a simple soup. Butternut squash with porcini mushrooms, leftover brown rice, and cannellini beans. Topped with some sauted kale and chopped parsley. Then I almost set the house on fire when I heated up a leftover pancake.


I also made a couscous cake from a recipe in The Hip Chick's Guide to Macrobiotics. You basically make a batch of couscous but using apple juice instead of water. Then you soak dried fruit in apple juice, cut it up, boil it with the juice and some kudzu and a tiny amount of brown rice syrup. Layer the two and you have dessert. Alas, I think I may have gone overboard on the apple flavor. I had some old dried apples that I wanted to use up so it's very apple, apple, apple.

No comments: