Saturday, February 28, 2009

Compassion for chocolate chip cookies

Friday night D was already fixing dinner when I got home. It was a simple meal because we'd spent a while eating bread (Acme Bread's Whole Wheat Walnut) and some delicious cheeses from Say Cheese (my favorite cheese place because all the employees look like ex-sailors-- beefy, tattooed, grizzled.)

Part of being a yogi is showing compassion-- to other things, people, animals, and most importantly to yourself. So I have to show compassion to myself for eating part of a chocolate chip cookie at work yesterday as well as all the cheese and bread for dinner. Most macros I know (and even the cookbook authors I read) have all said that giving up cheese was the hardest thing for them. (That and sugar.) It seems to be the last thing to go. I don't mind eating it now and then because I know how it will make me feel and how to deal with that later. (Miso soup)


Tonight we are headed to Manzanita, a local macrobiotic restaurant in the East Bay. We had soup (kabocha squash, quinoa, yam, and miso), steamed kale with a parsley sauce, brown rice, the most amazing beans (garbanzos with onions but somehow flavored in the most delicious way), roasted veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli with fresh herbs like dill), and a salad. Plus I got a cookie.

No comments: