Thursday, March 26, 2009

Provincial


Today's meal was Dandelion the Bitter Green's take on "Provence" (as in "herbs du") but we didn't really have any and I was uninspired in other ways. We made enough brown rice to have some leftovers. I'm hoping to make some rice balls to take as snacks at work. (Let's see if it really ever happens.) Then we steamed some veggies in the pressure cooker. (I guess that means they weren't really steamed so much as pressure cooked, but the end result tastes the same.) The the provincial moment came with the adzuki beans. No, not any of the beautiful heirloom varieties I have collected (see pictures below) but from a can. Adzukis are nice, kind of sweet, very cleansing, a great combo with rice. He made these in the cast iron pan with onions, our equivalent of cooking wine (mirin and apple cider vinegar), and dried herbs. It really was quite tasty and felt very French (minus the cooked duck and heavy sauces.)






Yesterday was pasta night because I had yoga class. This week's pasta was joined with seitan instead of our usual tofu. But otherwise a standard from our repertoire (carrots, cauliflower, chard, oh my!)

No comments: