Sunday, March 8, 2009

Directions

Apparently this is my weekend for failing to follow directions. Though I did my taxes on Friday night so maybe it's just that my direction-following ability has been maxed out. (Or maybe somebody really should check my numbers before I turn them in.) I failed to follow the directions on my sewing project and had to start all over. I also failed tonight with a recipe I was trying for dinner. Alas, there's really no starting over with food that you want to eat.

To catch up, Friday night was falafel from our local (and favorite) falafel place, Taboun. It was nice to have something easy since D had a rehearsal and left right away and I had taxes. Last night I made some heirloom beans that I bought at the Ferry Building Farmer's Market. They were called "Yellow Indian Woman" beans. They were a beautiful golden shade of yellow. That color didn't stay after cooking, like most beans, but they are still quite good. I only soaked them for 3 hours too. That's a huge bonus for dried beans. And thanks to the pressure cooker I only cooked them for 10 minutes as well. The pressure cooker rocks.

So I made a butternut squash soup with beans and rice. I also made Bud's version of a delicious brussel sprouts recipe. I know what you're thinking-- brussel sprouts? No way. I'm usually in that camp too but this recipe is hands down the best (and in my mind only) way to make them.

Take a pound of brussel sprouts and trim the bottoms. Mince a whole bunch of garlic (3 cloves or so). Toss the sprouts in oil and then put them on a cookie sheet in the broiler. They will get super blackened so stir occasionally, but you actually want them blackened. This is a sign that they are cooked all the way through. Once they look pretty black, throw in all the garlic and let broil for another minute or so. Trust me this is over the top delicious.

Tonight I wanted to try a recipe for Ginger Glazed Broccoli. You essentially blanch the broccoli (I added carrots too) and then toss them with a ginger glaze. Alas, I didn't really pay enough attention to the recipe when it said "drain the broccoli". Once I added it to the glaze it watered it all down. So it's not really glazed anymore, but it does still taste good.

I also made a bean dish with the heirloom beans. I cut up some garlic and fried them all together until it got a little thicker. And naturally some brown rice to round out the whole meal.

No comments: