Thursday, July 23, 2009

Restaurant Survival

Yes, I survived a week of restaurant food. My parents were here and I think we ate out almost every night. The one time I made food was a quick dinner before a party. Both Dandelion the Bitter Green and I needed to shower, wrap presents, and get the dinner made. The secret magic? Quinoa. Best grain for fast cooking. We made that with slivered roasted almonds and a side of cauliflower and kale. Quick and easy once everything was cut.



The next time we made dinner was also a fast night. We made kasha (toasted buckwheat), which is my second favorite grain for super fast cooking. It takes about as long as it takes the water to boil before it's all done. And it tastes amazing! I had previously been using untoasted buckwheat (simply called buckwheat) because it was cheaper and I figured I could toast it myself if I really wanted to. And then I accidentally bought the toasted kind and now I don't think I could go back! It's so much more flavorful. The one thing to watch out for is texture. If you're (or someone you love) a texture-issue person you might not like it as much. It kind of comes out as slightly grainy mashed potatoes.



We made the kasha with broiled summer squash (because that was so good and easy last time). Served with a dish of broccoli and kidney beans. The beans were canned but a nice organic, no salt variety. If you need something quick high quality canned beans are an easy way to cut corners.





Tonight was pasta with an amazing fake white sauce made out of cauliflower and lots of garlic and oil. Plus broiled tofu (yum!) and a salad. Very rich and filling. And did I mention the strawberry rhubarb pie I made last night? It finished cooking so late that I haven't tried it yet. Inaugural tasting right now...

No comments: