Monday, June 29, 2009

During and After Solstice

While I was at Solstice I ate a mono-diet essentially. Hard for someone who's used to the variety of macrobiotics.

Every night: mung beans and rice (spicy or non) with carrots, beets, and half a head of iceberg lettuce. Eaten altogether in one pile actually made it tastier, though I had to work my way up to the spicy mung beans by gradually adding half spicy and half non.



Every morning: potato and celery soup (spicy or non) with bananas and an orange. The soup really is much better with the bananas in it, kind of cuts the spice and makes it all sweeter. Many people stood in lines for oatmeal but I had it once and didn't think it was worth it. Traditionally you were supposed to eat the soup. It keeps you from having a lumpy gut of oatmeal during yoga classes later.



Lunches were different each day and I forgot to take pictures of them. The breakfast on the last day was also special, practically eggs and bacon. Cheesy potatoes, rice pudding, black garbanzos, with a sour cream sauce. Plus lots of yogi tea (chai) and raw chocolate goodness from the bazaar.





When I got back I was kindly picked up from the airport and driven to my favorite macrobiotic restaurant, Manzanita. We had a yam and miso soup followed by millet with cauliflower, roasted (or pressure cooked) root veggies with hijiki, collards with pesto sauce, kidney beans with a miso flavoring, and a fresh salad with a lemon tahini dressing. And the next day: vegan hemp cherry vanilla ice cream!

No comments: