Thursday, March 4, 2010

Pro

I was not thinking "pro" as in "professional". I was also not thinking "pro" as in "probiotic". (I'm actually tired of having living things in my food and that's saying a lot coming from the girl who drinks homemade kombucha and eats soy yogurt as a snack.) I was thinking "pro" as in "pro-active". This week I pro-actively prepared sauces and basic ingredients for a dinner that I would make the next night. The result: Mac and cheese! Pizza!

Monday I made broiled tofu, cheese sauce, roasted veggies, and polenta squares. The cheese sauce was used the next day for...



Mac and cheese! Pasta with crumbled tempeh, cheese sauce, and a side of greens. I can not reveal the secret ingredients in the cheese sauce except that it involved nutritional yeast, lemon juice, and mustard. The recipe is from Veganomicon.



And the next night was leftover mac and cheese! With a slightly different dish of side veggies.



Then we ate Thai food take out while I did laundry. BUT I proactively made pizza dough that we used tonight to make a pizza with caramelized onions and garlic, roasted broccoli, and navy beans.



********************
Recipe: Caramelized Onions

1 large onion, cut into thin slivers
2-3 cloves of garlic
olive oil
soy sauce
stock (or water)
Dash of sugar (optional)

Heat up a large cast iron pan with a little bit of olive oil. Add the onions and saute until brown. Add the garlic halfway to two-thirds of the way through. Add soy sauce and stock and a sprinkling of sugar if you want. Or you can use what we did which is sugared stock (because we had sugared tea for the kombucha and I thought it was stock and added more stock to it. It's great for collards or something like this.) Stir occasionally to keep the onions from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The heat should be high enough that they cook but low enough that they don't burn. The goal is melty juicy onion bits with lots of sauce. If you need to add more water or stock you can, just make sure you don't drown them in liquid. It needs only enough to cover the bottom of the pan. If you add more just turn up the heat or cook them longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yummm.... cheesssseee! Looks amazing Alison!! You make me want to be a good vegan! I've been eating a little bit of the cheese lately. LIke once a week. It makes me feel like a bad person and it smells like vomit but I eat it and I love it! xoxo - Hilary