Thursday, March 11, 2010

Is Chicago. Is Not Chicago

As you might guess I was in Chicago last weekend for work. I survived the land of steak houses without even eating a veggie burger! Admittedly I was only there for 3 days.



I like to travel with lots of food in case I can't find anything decent to eat, which was the case at the beginning of this trip. I made three hummus and tofu sandwiches which got me through the flight and into the hotel. I also brought a trail mix (I didn't make it but did mix it myself. I simply bought an unsalted nut mix from the farmer's market and added a handful or more of a raisin medley I love.) I also had Lara bars, a tangerine, and some dried fruit. This all came in handy when I arrived with a splitting headache and discovered that my coworker I had planned to eat dinner with was actually in a different hotel.



Day 1: Wandering around aimlessly and ending up eating at a Mexican fast food joint. I got veggie tacos with corn tortillas as they seemed the least offensive. I also went to a grocery store and bought chips, hummus, and fig newtons. Snack accumulation: success.



Day 2 breakfast and lunch: The hotel served breakfast and while I think I was the only person who ate the oatmeal I went for it. They had fresh blueberries but after the first day I didn't bother. Note to self: If blueberries are not in season don't eat them. I also ate potatoes and a small scoop of scrambled eggs. For lunch I had more of a break so went for a long walk. I found a food court in a mall that I'd been to before and got a make-your-own salad. I included chickpeas, cranberries, and as much broccoli as I thought could fit.

Day 2 dinner: I went to the best restaurant I've been to in Chicago, at least for vegans or vegetarians: Green Zebra, a high end gourmet place serving tapas style veg food. I ordered a baby leaf salad with long thin slivers of raw vegetables like carrots and jicama. Then I had roasted shiitake mushrooms rolled up like sushi with crispy thinly sliced potatoes as the outside wrapper. Then my final dish was udon noodles in a spicy sweet and sour sauce. I also had to try the dark chocolate hazelnut brittle.









Day 3 Breakfast and Lunch: Breakfast was the same, though I got up later and felt like it wasn't as good. That's what I get for waiting til the end of the free food time period. Lunch that day was served in the exhibit hall so I ate a roasted veggie wrap with a spinach tortilla and feta cheese, plus a bag of potato chips and an apple.

Day 3 Dinner: I hit up the highly recommended Chicago Diner for another vegan meal. Sadly I chose the most boring thing on their menu. (I think I was craving brown rice.) It was brown rice with steamed veggies, fried tofu, and spicy black beans. When they asked if I wanted a sauce, I should have said yes.



Day 4 Breakfast: Same, same, same. Lunch? Not really. Or at least not until I made it to the airport at 3 in the afternoon. I celebrated by having a pizza and a beer. The pizza was only ok but it did come with broccoli on it which was what really mattered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did WAY better in Chicago than I did last time I was there (a few years ago). I used to have to travel there for work all the time and the only vegan thing I could get my hands on was something I can't remember the name of but it was grains and veggies with loads of olive oil. I do love Chicago though! Looks like a good trip. Impressive no veggie burgers!! xox - Hilary