Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Inbetween

This is the week inbetween travels. I was in Chicago last week and I leave for Boston tomorrow. So while I was home I tried to cook as much as possible to have that home-cooked feeling last as long as possible.

On Wednesday last week, I made sourdough buttermilk biscuits. I love sourdough and since we had missed several pancake opportunities lately the sourdough had not been getting as much attention as it might like. With the biscuits I made a mushroom gravy and roasted cauliflower, asparagus and tofu. Note to self: Don't try making a new recipe like the mushroom gravy on a school night. It took forever to thicken, regardless of the "5 minutes" the cookbook claimed it would take. Veganomicon fail. (It did however taste great.)



On Thursday we used the rest of the cheese sauce (Veganomicon success!) to make another round of mac and cheese with a side of sauted broccoli, greens, and tofu.



On Friday Dandelion the Bitter Green made a butternut squash and sage soup, served with buckwheat.



Saturday night was leftovers because Dandelion the Bitter Green had a show at Grace Cathedral(!) which started early.

Sunday was taco night. I made rice, pinto beans, and a stir-fry of veggies tossed in the leftover mushroom gravy, served in the most awesome sprouted corn tortillas. (No, I did not make them. Still working on that recipe.)



Monday was a risotto of rice, tofu, carrots, and broccoli. This was flavored with white miso, an easy and ghetto way to thicken and "cheese-ify" dishes.



On Tuesday I made a two bean roulade with carrots and greens, served on rice. A roulade is a thick stew or a chunky sauce. Using two cans of beans (pinto and navy) it was a fast and quite tasty dish. We have a lot of sage so this dish was also flavored with sage and oregano.



Wednesday night I had to use as much beautiful fresh farmers market produce as I could. I steamed some asparagus and carrots and then tossed them with olive oil and lemon. Then I made a dish of braising greens (kale, chard, collards) with crispy tofu all served over pasta.





Tonight we had pizza-- the best pre-planned frozen thing I've made so far. A few weeks ago I made pizza dough. One batch is enough for two pizzas so I froze half the dough and tonight we had a delicious caramelized red onion and braised greens with roasted cauliflower, walnuts, and a tiny bit of manchego cheese.

No comments: