Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I Will Get By

'Touch of Grey,' cheesy as it is, is one of my favorite Grateful Dead songs for the sentiment in it. "I will get by. I will survive." And sometimes it feels like that's all we're doing, is getting by, in food as well as in life. I say this because over this last week, after my trip to LA, I was down to my last vegetable, my last can of beans, making stone soup to try and get by. I hadn't gone to the store in ages. And yet it was possible to get by, even though those meals may not have been my favorites of all time. (As I get older the other sentiment I love in the that song is "oh well, a touch of grey kind of suits you anyway.")

But first, an update: this week's cooking class will be rescheduled. I'm trying out acupuncture for the very first time that night! Please email or comment if you are still interested and let me know your preferred date.

Last week Dandelion the Bitter Green was on tour so I had the house to myself! I made all kinds of my favorite foods that I know he normally doesn't like or won't eat. On Monday I made a simple broccoli soup with rice and lentil leftovers.



On Tuesday I went to the Magic House in Montara and had dinner with Terra the Good Witch. We made an amazing and delicious combo of roasted brussel sprouts, quinoa with sauted veggies and a nice spinach salad with beans and cute sprouts.



On Wednesday, besides for eating two pints of strawberries all by myself, I made my favorite dish: tacos! This time with black beans (flavored with some salsa a guest left in my fridge last week) and broiled zucchini and carrots, topped with avocado and lettuce.



On Thursday I was starting to feel the stone soup pinch. I was out of my normal range of veggies other than carrots, lettuce, and braising greens. I picked up some potatoes at the store and made quinoa with carrots, braising greens, and potatoes. The carrots and potatoes were roasted in the oven. The braising greens were sauted with caramelized onions. I also tossed in some toasted almonds to add protein.



On Friday I ate at Manzanita in the east bay. Love this restaurant, even though you can't choose your meal. It's one dish only. The choice is either large portion or small. I had a delicious meal of whatever it was they were serving. It was good. And I don't even like turnips, which I'm pretty sure were included.

On Saturday leftover quinoa joined us for carrots, braising greens and a can of black beans. (The tofu I had meant to use had gone bad. In the package, no less!)



On Sunday we ate such a huge brunch at the St. Francis Fountain (where I got exactly what I had last time: Thai-style tofu scramble and a vegan milk shake with fresh strawberries) that we didn't really eat again until much later. Instead we lounged in the park with the rest of humanity.

On Monday night Dandelion the Bitter Green created an amazing almond butter, carrots, and greens dish, served along side steamed asparagus and broccoli, with rice and lentils.



On Tuesday night I made a risotto-like dish with sauted veggies, leftover rice and lentils, all flavored with white miso. I also baked some potato slices to use up the last of the potatoes.



Wednesday night is pasta night! Soba noodle pasta with roasted veggies (carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, asparagus, tofu.) Roasting vegetables is the easiest thing in the world to do and it frees up time for the cook to do other valuable things like practice the same song on the guitar over and over. Or drink a beer. Or both! Time well spent in my book.



******************
Recipe: Roasted vegetables

This recipe can really work with whatever veggies you have on hand. Harder veggies work better than soft but almost anything can be included.

1 head of broccoli
1/2 head of cauliflower
3 carrots
1 onion
(And other veggies you want: zucchini, winter squash, garlic, tofu, asparagus)

Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Cut all the veggies into small bite sized pieces. (Note: they might shrink a little in the cooking process so the pieces can be a little large.) Toss all the veggies onto a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and herbs (oregano, thyme, black pepper). Stir until all the veggies are coated and then place in the oven. Cook for about 20-25 minutes, checking after 10 minutes or so. You'll need to check the veggies and stir them occasionally so that they don't stick.

No comments: