Sunday, April 18, 2010

I am a teacher

I spent this weekend in LA doing yoga. Those who know me know that I do lots of yoga, mostly Kundalini yoga. I'm also a Kundalini yoga teacher (Saturdays at 11am, 1390 Waller @ Ashbury). My thought this weekend was that I am also a teacher throughout my life, when I talk to people about food, when I respond with kindness to a situation, when I walk with grace. In light of that I am going to start offering cooking classes at my house. If you are in the Bay Area come join me and we'll make a delicious dinner, talk about food, and have some recipes to take home. The first one will be Friday the 30th. Cost is $10 for food and the menu is yet to be decided. If you have requests for a seasonal dish or something that has appeared on the blog that you've always wanted to learn how to cook please let me know. RSVP to hold a spot, class size is limited.

And now on to the food!

For the wedding I had a tomato based soup, which is all I can remember about it now. The main course was quinoa with miso-glazed tofu and veggies. My dessert was special and had a fancy French name that translated to 'pot of chocolate' a sort of vegan chocolate pudding. This was all courtesy of The Plant Cafe on the Embarcadero.





Sunday night I made pasta with cheese sauce from the Veganomicon, broiled tofu, and roasted veggies.



Monday night I went out to dinner. Tuesday night I used the rest of the cheese sauce for the best casserole I've ever made. The bottom layer was polenta with broccoli, a sauted layer of veggies and cannelini beans, all topped with the cheese sauce and baked in the oven for 10 minutes. The cheese sauce really tied all the ingredients together and helped it fully feel like a casserole.



Wednesday night I ate out. Thursday night I made a big pot of rice and lentils (that I will probably be eating for a week). I broiled some carrots and zucchini with lots of garlic, served the rice with caramelized onions, and used up a whole bunch of kale by making crispy kale chips with nutritional yeast.



Friday for brunch I ate at the St. Francis Fountain. It was the best brunch I've had in ages. A truly delicious Thai style tofu scramble (with homemade peanut sauce, spinach, and mushrooms, toast, and crispy homefries.



I couldn't resist ordering a vegan milkshake with fresh strawberries blended into it. Best milkshake I've had in ages!



In LA on Saturday night I ate at my favorite macrobiotic restaurant, the M Cafe. I got what I get every time when I eat there: the seitan katsu (this time in bento box form).



Our neighbor also let us try a bit of his vegan pizza made with Daiya cheese. It was good cheese but since I haven't seen the ingredients I'm still skeptical. I think I'd rather just eat real things rather than fakes.



I returned home on Sunday and made a simple meal with the leftover rice and lentils. I stry-fried some carrots, broccoli, and shiitake mushrooms, all tossed in an almond butter- miso sauce.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You ARE a teacher! An amazing teacher and Im so glad that you are starting cooking classes at your house! That is amazing and I am CONSTANTLY inspired by you!! Big hugs and kisses and wish I could be there to take one of your classes!! xoxoxo - Hilary

Anonymous said...

Daiya ingredients for each product are the following;

Cheddar Style Shreds
Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, inactive yeast, vegan natural flavors, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor), annatto.

Mozzarella Style Shreds
Filtered water, tapioca and/or arrowroot flours, non-GMO expeller pressed canola and /or non-GMO expeller pressed safflower oil, coconut oil, pea protein, salt, vegan natural flavors, inactive yeast, vegetable glycerin, xanthan gum, citric acid (for flavor).