Thursday, May 28, 2009

Secret ingredients

Last night I busted out the secret ingredients option for dinner. I was making a fairly standard stir-fry (with seitan which is exciting for us) but generally the normal list of veggies and rice. I was really feeling like I needed to do something else to make it exciting. So I went for a secret ingredient, which is not really secret when you taste or look at the dish. I added chopped roasted almonds. It totally took it to the next level of interest in texture and flavor. And so simple: I roasted them in a little cast iron pan while I was making the rest of the stir-fry. By the time it was done so were they. I roughly chopped them up and tossed with everything else. I seriously need to remember to do this more often so that I don't get so bored with meals. This was a simple easy thing and it made all the difference.



Monday after camping we ate pasta at a restaurant which wasn't as good as it could have been. And Tuesday night we had my favorite meal of corn tortillas with rice, pinto beans, and stir-fried veggies.



Tonight was broccoli-miso soup with garlicky kale and whole wheat walnut bread.

No comments: