Sunday, February 21, 2010

Teach your children well

I just watched this video of Jamie Oliver's TED talk. While I wouldn't necessarily want to eat the food he makes all the time, he has some valid points. Mostly it stems from teaching kids about food. One of the most powerful clips he shows is kids in a classroom being asked to identify various vegetables and they have no idea. They shout out pear when he holds up an eggplant. They don't even know what color the word they are saying should be.

One other point he makes is that if one person teaches 3 people how to cook and those 3 people teach 3 people, it will only take 25 times for this to cover the entire US population. That doesn't really sound so hard. Just teach someone, even one person, how to make something, your favorite dish, a special birthday cake, an easy soup. If everyone will teach someone, especially children, maybe we have a chance to reverse the obesity trends that we're falling into.

Watch the video (only 18 minutes long) and think about how you can teach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this video. I agree, I would not want to eat what he cooks but at least is sustainable for the most part. I love the idea of teaching one person how to cook one healthy thing. I remember one day when I realized I was making an impression on someone with my eating habits. Erica (she takes your yoga class) came to a dinner party I was at with roasted veggies and tofu dip! She's a big meat eater and it made me realize that the best thing to do is to be an inspiration and live what you believe rather than preach it and shove it down someone's throat.
And this is what you are doing with you blog. I love it so much and it provides a constant inspiration for me to stay on track!!
xox - Hilary

alison p. alison said...

Hilary, I love you! You keep me going! I think we are supporting each other. Keep blogging and cooking and living and loving. xoxo