Wednesday, December 2, 2009

T-Day and Beyond

Thanksgiving was thank-er-licious with a giant potluck provided by the 13 people who showed up at the Magic House in Montara. Before Thanksgiving though we did have to make dinner on both Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesday night we made roasted sweet potato slices with braised brussel sprouts and rice and lentils. And Wednesday night we eat leftovers, hummus, and sauted kale, a light dinner since we knew we'd be eating a lot the next day.



T-Day: I made the most delicious vegan pecan pie and a wild rice salad with mandarin oranges and walnuts. The pecan pie turned out the best of all the years I have made it. Not sure why that was because I know I always follow the recipe exactly.





I made curry with cauliflower and potatoes on Friday. I also made roti, because I was feeling rather ambitious and had more time off than usual. On Saturday we ate more curry this time with soy yogurt and a light kale saute.



Sunday night we ate pizza.

Monday night I made soup with butternut squash and adzuki beans and rice, plus a dash of sauted kale for garnish.



Tuesday I made my favorite roasted sweet potato and broccoli dish with the orange and soy sauce dressing. So good! The recipe is from Veg Times and you can read it here. We also made a carrot and hijiki (seaweed) salad and an amazing side of old west frontier inspired beans with garlic and almond butter. (Yes, I know they did not have almond butter in the old west. It was the cooking style-- in a cast iron skillet rather than a sauce pan-- that inspired it.)



Wednesday night is pasta night, with a classic Alison-stir fry made up of cauliflower, carrots, and kale.



Tonight was another good night for roasting vegetables. As the temperature drops (into the low 50s here in California) we have to make seasonal warming dishes like roasted veggies. This was a medley: broccoli, carrots, burdock, red cabbage, onion, tempeh, and brussel sprouts. The secret this time was tossing the cooked veggies with the juice of half a lemon and some more olive oil. This keeps the dish light and refreshing instead of heavy.

No comments: