Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Roasting for heat

I've been using the oven a lot lately in an effort to warm up the apt. It usually works quite well even though my oven is erratic. I have an oven thermometer and highly recommend one. I had no idea my oven was so off all the time! It's at least 50 degrees cooler than advertised most days but then again sometimes it's hotter than it claims. There's no rhyme or reason so the thermometer makes all the difference. You'll notice when it finally warms up here. I promise to not roast any more vegetables if that happens.

On Friday last week I made my favorite dinner, which if you can't tell is beans and rice in a corn tortilla. I've found these amazing sprouted corn tortillas and I am totally in love. I even ate the tortillas plain the next day; they are that good. We ate more of these as leftovers the next night and I did not mind.



Sunday I made biscuits (after making an awesome --and not pictured-- tofu scramble for brunch). The sourdough butter"milk" biscuits were served with roasted vegetables (cauliflower, brussel sprouts, red cabbage, and carrots) and more leftover pinto beans and rice (from the faux-Mexican meals earlier).



Monday Dandelion the Bitter Green made the red lentil-cauliflower curry from Veganomicon. I think it was the first time he'd followed a recipe in a while so he followed it to the letter. I noticed that I tend to fudge it now that I've made it several times. The critical ingredient that I always forget: squeeze of lemon juice at the end. Keeps everything not too heavy.



Tuesday night was cornbread with the hottest jalapenos ever, made in the cast iron skillet. Spicy but delicious. Served with black beans and more roasted vegetables (brussel sprouts, carrots, red cabbage, and a few shitake mushrooms).



Here's my latest roasting recipe.

************************
Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees. Yes, really make it that hot. It will sear the veggies giving them that awesome brown crunchy look.

Cut up bite sized pieces of any veggies you like (hard ones like carrots, broccoli or cauliflower work best but onions, leeks, cabbage, bok choy are also good. Avoid anything too leafy as the delicate leaves will burn.)

Put them on a cookie sheet. Spread generously with olive oil and herbs (rosemary, oregano, thyme, basil, etc.-- fresh or dried. If fresh leafy herbs add at the end of cooking.)

Put them in the oven for 20 minutes stirring when you think of it.

Turn the temp up! (to 500 baby-- hot, hot, hot!)

Cook for another 10 minutes at the new temp and try not to burn off any eyebrows when you stir.

Eat and delicious.
**************************

Tonight I'm making a rye and black bean soup. Plus cauliflower, carrots, and dried porcini mushrooms. Will report back later with results.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog makes me happy!! See you soon! Big hug! xoxo - Hilary