Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Anxiety dreams and food comas

I had an anxiety dream last night. I dreamt my boss was pregnant, all the more unlikely because she is a 60 year old lesbian. I'm realizing tonight how else I deal with stress. It's not just that I eat (I do) but I cook. I've made more food tonight (post giant re-org at my work that kept them from laying off anyone but makes us all nervous) than I probably will need for several days. Perhaps the inverse is also true. On Sunday when it was ridiculously gorgeous outside I didn't cook at all. I think I mostly ate chips and strawberries at a birthday party.


Monday night it was also still hot so I tried to do the least amount of cooking possible. It was still too much: quinoa with garbanzos, broccoli, mushrooms, and baby bok choy. All as a one-pot meal. Did I mention I'm queen of the one-pot meals?

Last night was Dandelion the Bitter Green's birthday so I spent all evening making vegan chocolate mousse. The recipe is from the Simple Treats cookbook which I can't recommend enough. For one, this is the best vegan mousse and it doesn't use any tofu! For two, this book has the best vegan chocolate chip cookie recipe ever. It's not full of weird ingredients and it tastes like the classic choc. chip cookie you've been craving all week. So after all the mousse making we got falafel take out.



Tonight I literally almost set the house on fire. I was making the blackened brussel sprouts with garlic and came back to write more of this blog when I saw flames coming from the oven. (Note to self: blogging and cooking don't mix.) I ended up making the blackened brussel sprouts, roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli (based on a recipe from Vegetarian Times that I've mentioned before) and a carrot soup with rice and adzuki beans. Yes, I will be eating leftovers for a week. Hopefully while I eat chocolate mousse and watch old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer to make myself feel better.

No comments: