Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sugar in everything

If you weren't convinced already that you should be eating more home-cooked meals this list of packaged products that contain the most sugar will convince you. I tend to not eat packaged foods, even the vegan ones (other than the occasional Lara bar- which have all of two or three ingredients) so I'm not really surprised that there is so much sugar in all of these other things. The problem is this list doesn't really show the most surprising sugar containing foods. Like in bread, pasta, salsa, soy sauce, chips, crackers, salty foods. I expect to find sugar in granola. Maybe I'm the only one but from having made it myself I know you have to coat the oats in something to make them stick. I think we all expect that a milk shake is full of sugar (full of a day's worth of calories?-- maybe unexpected.) I think it's good that this article is trying to raise awareness of the hidden sugars in our diets but I think there's a simpler solution than memorizing the worst offenders from a list. READ THE INGREDIENTS LABEL! Every food item includes one. Read it. Even if it takes you more time in the store. Even if you think you know everything in that product already. Even if you have read the label before (ingredients can change!) If you find something on the list you can't pronounce don't buy it. If it has sugar as the first or second ingredient (and it's not ice cream or cake) don't buy it. That's a pretty simple rule of thumb to live by while shopping for prepared foods. Read the label. If you can't pronounce, don't buy. If it has sugar and shouldn't, don't buy. Easy, right? And then start making more home-cooked meals. Your body, brain, and psyche will thank you for it.

No comments: