Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Rice Krispie Treats


Rice Krispie Treats were a favorite from my childhood. When I became vegan I thought I had lost the chance to enjoy ridiculous marshmallow-y sweetness. I mean, yes, there are vegan marshmallows. I've used them for making S'mores around a campfire, but I'm not sure they should really be used for anything else. They are a bit odd texture-wise, and god only knows what's actually in them. As a macro-vegan I'm much more concerned about what's actually in the substances I eat than I am about just eating a vegan version of something. I have since found the most amazing recipe for these kinds of things that will make even omnivores think they are eating the real thing (or at least ask for the recipe!) Plus these are super simple and easy to make which should be the point of rice krispie treats anyway. This recipe is from The Hip Chicks Guide to Macrobiotics, a truly wonderful book that everyone should read. It has some great suggestions if, like me, you are a sugar addict and some great ways to move into macrobiotics slowly and smoothly. It also has some women-specific advice which I found very helpful. In fact, I loaned my copy to a friend many moons ago and need to get it back!

Here's the recipe (pictures to follow later tonight):

1 cup brown rice syrup
2/3 cup almond butter
dash of vanilla
dash of umeboshi vinegar
Puffed cereal (I like this Puffed Kamut variety because it holds up much better than the rice ones do.)

Put all of the ingredients except the cereal into a small pan over low heat, stirring frequently. Once the almond butter and rice syrup have melted together and you start to see small bubbles, take it off the heat and pour into a large bowl. Add the cereal and stir until well coated. I also like to add chocolate chips (dark chocolate, so they're vegan) at this point. They mostly melt in the heat of the mixture but occasionally there is a whole one which is fine as well. This makes the treats even more of a treat, because, duh, chocolate! Pour the mixture into a greased pan and press it firmly to all the edges. Let cool for a while (or as long as you can wait). Then cut with a sharp knife.

I have taken these when traveling or camping because they hold up much better than cookies do (no crumbs!) and sort of work like little energy nuggets. I highly recommend them.

No comments: