Monday, March 24, 2008

House of Light


I recently spent some time in Austin, TX for the South by Southwest music festival and hence there has been a delay in writing this. The festival was great, if only because it was almost 90 degrees. I went swimming in a natural springs pool that was naturally about 60 degrees year round. It was heart-stoppingly cold, even on the blazingly hot day.
I also ate at a macrobiotic restaurant called Casa de Luz. Not only a beautiful calming environment but also an amazing restaurant and community.
The restaurant also runs a natural cooking school which was tempting enough to make me want to move to Austin. But really it was the food. We ate there for dinner and then lunch the next day. Each meal included soup, salad, raw veggies (like cut carrots, broccoli florets, etc.), brown rice, beans, root veggies, kale or other green leafy veggies, basically a huge amount of food. The best deal of course being lunch because you get the same amount of food for half the price of dinner. I also bought cookies each time (almond butter and ginger snap). The ginger snaps helped me survive my incredibly difficult and stressful flight back (weather canceled my first flight, the next day the airline canceled my flight!) This was all great inspiration to make it to my local (Oakland) macrobiotic restaurant, Manzanita. It was fabulous in the same way that Casa de Luz was. Now if only someone would open a place like this in SF. (Please!)

No comments: