Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Food Work

Due to lots of work related functions I've been able to eat leftovers for dinner more than once this past week. Usually I end up eating my leftovers for lunch the next day so this was a shockingly large amount of food left each night.

Last Wednesday we made the most excellent Midwestern meal. For the first time I made seitan from gluten flour. Seitan is wheat protein. When you start with gluten flour it is quite easy to make seitan. I added water, kneaded it until it looked and felt like playdough, then made "cutlets" and boiled them in a tasty broth. (Note: Getting cutlets out of a giant ball of sticky playdough is harder than it sounds.)

So for our Midwestern meal we made the equivalent of beef stroganoff with the seitan, onions, and mushrooms, a side of broccoli and cauliflower with herbs and lemon juice, served with brown rice.



We pretty much ate that plus takeout until Saturday which was seitan with carrots and chard.



Sunday was a quinoa pilaf with chickpeas and broccoli. A side dish of greens with roasted sunflower seeds and lemon juice.



Monday night I made pizza (using frozen crusts, I'm not that cool.) Zucchini, carrots, broccoli with a caramelized onion sauce.



Tuesday night was leftovers from what I made for the company picnic: a rice salad with broccoli and carrots, tossed with a Mediterranean dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs.



Tonight was a goulash of a stir fry: seitan, carrots, chard, and zucchini.

No comments: