Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sweet potatoes


I've been obsessed with sweet potatoes lately. I just can't get enough of them. I haven't (yet) gone to the extreme of making sweet potato pie (which I have in the past). Mostly I've just been making sweet potato fries and sweet potatoes in with roasted veggies. Today I bought some Hannah sweet potatoes. Anyone know the difference between a Hannah sweet potato and your traditional variety? Me neither. But I do know that they are yellow-er and a bit more mellow than the standard variety. Not as non-sweet as the Japanese variety, but related it seems. Tonight I made the sweet potato fries as seen in Vegan with a Vengeance.

Sweet Potato Fries

2 large sweet potatoes, cut into a fry-like shape
1 Tablespoon of olive oil
1 teaspoon of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper

Sounds great, right? I never have the spices she asks for though, so substitute I do.

My recipe:
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
salt and black pepper to taste

You mix all of whatever spices you choose with the oil and then add the potatoes. This method works much better than what I've done in the past- dump spices on the potatoes and hope they will mingle in the oven. Never works. Temp is 425F and then in theory it only takes 15 minutes each side. The book claims that you should use tongs to flip them. I've never had fries be so evenly distributed on a tray that I could use tongs, so I just take a metal pancake flipper and mix them all around. It's not perfect but if you do it often it keeps them evenly brown. And I don't know if it's my oven or what but everything takes longer. I did it for a good 45 minutes. But then again, I also like them to be crispy.

So go ahead and bust out the sweet potatoes. I'm telling you, they are amazing.

No comments: